Re: [xsl] Encoding problem or what else?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Encoding problem or what else?
From: "FC" <flavio@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 18:31:53 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 17:26

> > However when I run my transformation one of the two produces
> > the following
> > saxon error:
> >
> > SXXP0003: Error reported by XML parser: Document root element
> > is missing.
> >

> It's actually a Xerces error: Saxon's just the messenger.
>
> I've never worked out exactly what it means, it seems to be something of a
> catch-all error to indicate that the file exists but Xerces hasn't been
able
> to start parsing it. I'm a little surprised that it should be produced for
> an encoding problem, but it's not impossible, as it does seem to cover
quite
> a range of conditions.
>
> Michael Kay
> http://www.saxonica.com/

Hello Micheal,
i checked the file with an HEX editor and it turned out that there are three
bytes whose hex code is EF BB BF at the beginning of the offending file.
I guess this must be the reason why the parser is complaining, though I am
still not clear if this is some sort of multi-byte character or just some
junk that happens to be there. If I open the file with Wordpad, these
characters do not show up at all.

Thanks,
Flavio