RE: [xsl] Encoding problem or what else?

Subject: RE: [xsl] Encoding problem or what else?
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 08:31:18 -0000
> i checked the file with an HEX editor and it turned out that
> there are three
> bytes whose hex code is EF BB BF at the beginning of the
> offending file.
> I guess this must be the reason why the parser is
> complaining, though I am
> still not clear if this is some sort of multi-byte character
> or just some
> junk that happens to be there.

This is a byte-order-mark, a signal that the file is in UTF-8 encoding. Some
parsers allow a BOM at the start of a UTF-8 file, others don't. The latest
specs say that it should be accepted, but older parsers don't recognize it.
It's generated automatically by some software that writes UTF-8, especially
Microsoft software.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/