[xsl] Re: Collecting sibling nodes under groupings

Subject: [xsl] Re: Collecting sibling nodes under groupings
From: "Mark Wilson" <drmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:23:48 -0500
Hello David,
Thanks for your help. It worked, almost. I did not quite state my problem correctly. I need to add another layer in the final document. All my authors and titles come out at the same level within each grouped Subject element. That is, if there are two book records in a Subject element group, each book's elements are at the same level as every other book's elements within the Subject element. For an arbitrary group of two books, I get: (stylesheet follows example)
------------------------------
<SubjectList>
<Subject>Racing Books
<Author>Jones</Author>
<Title>Racing with the Wind</Title>
<Author>Smith</Author>
<Title>Happy Days</Title>
</Subject>
</SubjectList>
--------------------------------
When what I need is: (indentation not needed)
-------------------------------
<SubjectList>
<Subject>Racing Books
<Book>
<Author>Jones</Author>
<Title>Racing with the Wind</Title>
</Book>
<Book>
<Author>Smith</Author>
<Title>Happy Days of Racing</Title>
</Book>
</Subject>
</SubjectList>
---------------------------------
or this would be even better:
-----------------------
<SubjectList>
<SubjectEntry>
<Subject>Racing Books</Subject>
<Book>
<Author>Jones</Author>
<Title>Racing with the Wind</Title>
</Book>
<Book>
<Author>Smith</Author>
<Title>Happy Days of Racing</Title>
</Book>
</SubjectEntry>
</SubjectList>

<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"; version="2.0">
<xsl:template match="/">
<SubjectList>
<xsl:for-each-group select="/List/Entry" group-by="Subject">
<Subject>
<xsl:value-of select="current-grouping-key()"/>
<xsl:copy-of select="current-group()/*[not(self::Subject)]"/>
</Subject>
</xsl:for-each-group>
</SubjectList>
</xsl:template>