[xsl] eXSLT date:add template

Subject: [xsl] eXSLT date:add template
From: "Fraser Goffin" <goffinf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 10:57:59 +0000
I recently had a need to do some date calculations in XSLT (1.0) and I thought it would be a good opportunity to take a look at the eXSLT function and template library.

What I wanted to do was, given a start date (lets call it startDate), calculate a new date (lets call it endDate) to be startDate + 1 year - 1 day.

I settled on calling the date:add template twice, the first time to add the duration P1Y and the second time to subtract the day from the result of the first call (duration -P1D).

This works fine until we get to those pesky leap year dates (and even for these I'm not saying the implementation is wrong - I am just looking for clarification of the design). The date that I have a question over is (not surprisingly) the 29th February !. An example :-

Note: 2004 is a leap year.

The input doc looks like this :-

<eXLST_dateAdd_Test1>
   <startDate>2004-02-29</startDate>
</eXLST_dateAdd_Test1>

and the output like this :-

<eXLST_dateAdd_Test1>
   <startDate>2004-02-29</startDate>
   <currentDatePlus1Year>2005-02-28</currentDatePlus1Year>
   <endDate>2005-02-27</endDate>
</eXLST_dateAdd_Test1>

Here endDate is shown as the 27th Feb. One might expect this to be the 28th, but it all depends on whether adding 1 year to the 29th Feb should be 28th Feb in the following year or 01 March. The implementation takes the position that it should be 28th Feb and therefore, subtracting 1 day yields 27th.

This seems reasonable.

BUT, if I use a startDate of 2004-2-28 I will also get the same result. H'mm now I'm not so sure, maybe adding 1 year to 29th February SHOULD be 01 March after all ??

Comments

Fraser.

Here's the simple XSLT I was using to test with :-

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"; xmlns:date="http://exslt.org/dates-and-times"; extension-element-prefixes="date">
<xsl:import href="../functions/add/date.add.template.xsl"/>
<xsl:output method="xml" version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" indent="yes"/>
<xsl:template match="*|@*|text()">
<xsl:copy>
<xsl:apply-templates select="*|@*|text()|comment()"/>
</xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>
<xsl:template match="/">
<xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:template>
<xsl:template match="startDate">
<xsl:copy-of select="."/>
<!-- TASK: Add 1 Year minus 1 day -->
<!-- Add 1 Year -->
<xsl:variable name="currentDatePlus1Year">
<xsl:call-template name="date:add">
<xsl:with-param name="date-time" select="."/>
<xsl:with-param name="duration" select="'P1Y'"/>
</xsl:call-template>
</xsl:variable>
<currentDatePlus1Year><xsl:value-of select="$currentDatePlus1Year"/></currentDatePlus1Year>
<!-- Subtract 1 Day -->
<xsl:variable name="endDate">
<xsl:call-template name="date:add">
<xsl:with-param name="date-time" select="$currentDatePlus1Year"/>
<xsl:with-param name="duration" select="'-P1D'"/>
</xsl:call-template>
</xsl:variable>
<endDate>
<xsl:value-of select="$endDate"/>