[xsl] What does the phrase "duplicates removed" mean precisely?

Subject: [xsl] What does the phrase "duplicates removed" mean precisely?
From: "Mark Wilson" <drmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 08:51:43 -0500
In reading Michael Kay's XPath 2.0, I frequently encountered the phrase, "...returned with no duplicates...". I checked the FAQ mantained by Dave Pawson under both XSLT Terminology -- where "duplicates" is used to define the term "Node Set" -- and under XSL Frequently Asked Questions where "duplicates" has its own heading. From that reading, I am all but convinced that "duplicates" refers to the (I cannot recall the correct XML term) content text demarked by a starting and ending XML element pair, as in

<SomeTag>This is the text</SomeTag>

Is this correct, or is my understanding imperfect? Are there any other kind of "duplicates" removed?

Thanks,
Mark