Re: [xsl] Pagebreaks in Excel-HTML transformer

Subject: Re: [xsl] Pagebreaks in Excel-HTML transformer
From: Jon Gorman <jonathan.gorman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 15:36:24 -0600
On 2/6/06, Oleg Konovalov <olegkon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Charles,
>
> >I was able to open the file normally with Excel 2000.
> >All the pages broke where you would expect them to break.
> That is very strange, why would you and me get different results ?

I haven't been following this thread closely, but I would not rely on
how excel interprets an html file.  (Or are you changing it into html
first and then running through another process to produce a binary
Excel file?)  Excel seems far too unpredictable between different
versions when it involves importing behavior.

I don't think I'd use XSLT here to tell the truth, or at least not
directly.  There are a lot of api's out there for creating Excel
documents in various languages.  I'd probably either use a SAX
approach, or maybe just use XSLT to create a DOM.  I've never really
tried the second approach, but I have used SAX + a excel-writer api to
create spreadsheet files.

> And why would HTMLSerializer with mime type Excel strip out
> page-break-after tags?

Errr, shot in the dark guess: HTMLSerializer doesn't know mime type is
Excel.  Probably strips out any page-break-after tags since they're
not HTML objects.  Of course, this is a random guess as I don't use
Cocoon.

> As I mentioned, another option would be to put every table into it's own
Excel
> worksheet. I guess, that is to transform <page-break> tag into
> <x:ExcelWorksheet>
*shrugs* maybe.

While I hope someone can help you, and with all respects to Charles
for what help he has given you,  I think if you searched for a mailing
list or support group that was concerned with Cocoon or Excel markup
you might have a better success rate.  The issues you seem to be
struggling with are those involved with Cocoon and Excel, not XSL.

Jon Gorman