[xsl] Slower performance of compiled stylesheets with Saxon on poor hardware?

Subject: [xsl] Slower performance of compiled stylesheets with Saxon on poor hardware?
From: "cavecatem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cavecatem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 12:55:35
Hi all,

our  server happens to be rather old and poorly equipped with RAM (and there
is a database and a lot of other stuff running on it). So I tried compiled
stylesheets to improve the performance of the XSLT transformation (Solaris
with saxon8b) and got the rather odd result that compiled stylesheets took 2
to 4 seconds longer than the transformation with the uncompiled stylesheet
(i.e. 10-12 for the uncompiled and 13-15 for the compiled stylesheet.

Anyone else noticed this phenomen?

What kind of server equipment do I need for the compiled stylesheet to work
faster than the uncompiled? What's more important, RAM or CPU speed?
(I use modular stylesheets with altogether say 200  to 400 lines and input
files about the same size or smaller, so I' m sure a server build in this
century would help a lot ;-)

 I will need to good arguments that the process normally isn't this slow.
Thanks for suggestions.
Regards
CJ