RE: [xsl] Fwd: Five xdt:* types renamed

Subject: RE: [xsl] Fwd: Five xdt:* types renamed
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 08:39:35 -0000
> What does this mean for XML Schema?

The thinking is that XML Schema will "take over" the types xs:anyAtomicType,
xs:yearMonthDuration, and xs:dayTimeDuration - that is, at some time in the
future the normative definition of these types will be in the XML Schema
specifications, not in the XPath data model (XDM). The other two types,
xs:untyped and xs:untypedAtomic, describe data that has not been anywhere
near a schema, so the definitions will remain part of XDM, even though they
have "borrowed" two names in the schema namespace.

In fact the first three types are already in the XML Schema 1.1 working
drafts, and the main factor that caused us to make the change now was to
avoid the much more difficult transition problem that would otherwise occur
in a couple of years' time.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/