Re: [xsl] templates as functions that return a context?

Subject: Re: [xsl] templates as functions that return a context?
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 00:31:02 GMT
> to reiterate more clearly: is there any way to return a "node in
> context" from a template,

the basic model in xslt is that xpath selects nodes from the source tree
and xslt templates generate new nodes in the output, you want to doi the
former so you want to use xpath (ie select attributes) rather than xslt
templates.

Xpath2 is more expressive (or at least you can express things more
esaily with less keystrokes) and in particular as you can define
functions within xslt you can make things more re-usable.

it's not a full rec yet but a lot of people are using it already.

Although I don't actually see anything in your problem description that
suggests to me that you could bot do this in xpath 1.

David

http://www.star.net.uk