Re: [xsl] xsl:strip-space and position()

Subject: Re: [xsl] xsl:strip-space and position()
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 08:10:08 -0500
At 2006-03-08 13:53 +0100, Jesper Tverskov wrote:
In his book, XSLT 2.0, p. 409, Michael Kay mentions two reasons, why it is
often nice to use xsl:strip-space. I have problems with the last one:
I understand this if we use "node()" as part of the XPath expression,
implicitly or explicitly, but in all cases, I can think of, when using the
position() function, we will always be more specific in order to include the
proper elements only.

I disagree, and I think you contradict yourself above when you combine "implicitly" (where nothing is specified by the user) with "we will always be more specific". Either you are explicitly specific or implicitly not specific.

Could someone give me a realistic markup example of the position() function
not working properly if xsl:strip-space is not used?

I try to take advantage of built-in template rules whenever I can, so that fewer assumptions are built into the stylesheets.

The built-in template rule to process elements uses "node()", so the position() returned for children of the element processed by the built-in template rule will give different results based on the presence or absence of xsl:strip-space for the element being processed.

I hope this helps.

--
Upcoming XSLT/XSL-FO hands-on courses: Washington,DC 2006-03-13/17
Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc