Re: [xsl] plea for help...

Subject: Re: [xsl] plea for help...
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 12:15:25 -0500
At 12:20 AM 3/10/2006, you wrote:
> Hint: if that CDATA marked section is an indicator that you plan to
> place "escaped" HTML -- don't do it. You'll regret it.

I only brought it up because this is what we do now to send our content to
a client.

Ah, yes, okay.

I have no idea why it's done this way, and I'm told I can't ask their IT
anything on this either.  :/

Heh. Probably because "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

It often seems like a good and reasonable idea; and it's not *necessarily* a disaster. It's just bad news in the hands of the careless and inexperienced -- i.e. a disaster waiting to happen. But since porting HTML (or other tag-based markup) around in some kind of metadata wrapper is an evident requirement, one does see a fair amount of it, such as in RSS.

The pity of it is, that this is exactly what namespaces were for, and namespaces, while not without headaches of their own, do this reasonably well.

>> Or am I way over thinking this?
>
> Not necessarily. But it *is* off topic now....

OK, since this is "OT" where do I go so that this dicsussion in on-topic?

It's an issue of such fundamental importance that you're bound to find interest in just about any general-topic XML forum (which, unfortunately, this isn't). Do you have a local user group or some such?

I suppose one could post on XML-Dev ... http://lists.xml.org/ ... there's certainly no shortage of experience and variety of perpective there.

Cheers,
Wendell