Re: [xsl] plea for help...

Subject: Re: [xsl] plea for help...
From: Alex von Thorn <avt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 17:08:17 -0500
I did this. I had a specific requirement and I tailored the XSL for the results I needed.

I have a bunch of people who create documentation. In time gone by, they would do whatever: web pages, Word files, Visio documents, graphic files, posting email to the group, printing up things and taping it to their cubicle walls, whatever. So I had everybody "standardize" on HTML. Well, everybody composed in their own way. Worse than that, many of them composed in nasty Microsoft web authoring applications, while others just used vi, and it was essentially impossible to edit a page with vi after something from Microsoft has edited it.

I knew what I wanted. I wanted all the pages to have a similar look, with similar fonts, navigation, and top layout; XML was the solution. I created a document standard, creating <section> and <subsection> elements and a bunch of other stuff (almost 2000 lines in the XSL file). The XML files are about half the size of the HTML files; the team says that it's so much easier to do the XML files (once they wrap their heads around the paradigm, errors and strangeness have almost vanished, anything that can be turned into well-formed XML that can be interpreted by the XSL file once can be edited in the future, all the pages look similar, making it easy for users to find the information they are looking for, and the quantity and quality of output has increased because XML/XSL works better. As our company changes name, logo, and colors, I can just edit the XSL stylesheet and poof, the whole intranet changes. No schmancy document-management system required (because we get no budget for intranet development, people just expect us to know everything right away when someone asks).

My specific solution is specific. In general, if you have a big site, if you have some consistency with the content or data in it, and you know what you need from it, it may well be possible to get very good results from XML with XSL.

The key here is to look at your HTML (or XHTML) and identify patterns in how you organize the information. The patterns can be abstracted to define XML elements; the exceptions and details can become attributes, child elements, or ordinary text content.