Re: [xsl] Displaying one section of XML file at a time -- posting again

Subject: Re: [xsl] Displaying one section of XML file at a time -- posting again
From: Gowri Ratakonda <gratakonda@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 09:08:03 -0800 (PST)
Jon,

Thanks a lot! I made all the changes you suggested,
and it worked in my transformation mode - sending XML
with a stylesheet PI to the browser!!

> > <cd id="2">
>
> Word of warning.
> shouldn't start with numbers. I don't think this
will
> cause an error
> necessarily at any point, but it might in some
> tools.

You are right, although it didn't cause any problem, I
did change it to c2 as you suggested.

> > <h2>
> onClick="toggle('$id')">
>
>               ^^^^
> I think you're trying to do attribute value
> templates.  See
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#attribute-value-templates.
>  Remember XSLT
> doesn't know anything about the output format.  So
> if you do this it
> will literally put out toggle($id) (view the
> generated source).

>                                               ^^^^^
> And here you assign all the elements the literal id
> value $id.  Hence
> there's a conflict in ids, and browsers will behave
> unpredictably.
> Most will probably just grab the first element with
> that id.

Yes, that's what was happening. While IE dispalyed the
first table, Mozilla dispalyed the second one. Thanks
for pointing me to the documentation on
attribute-value-templates again. It helped me solve
the problem.

> You really do need to make sure you have some way of
> viewing the
> generated html page.  Either using view generated
> source via a plugin

You mean something like Sarissa, right? That's what I
am planning on to do next.

> or browser setting

Could you please expand on this one? When I send the
XMl file with stylesheet PI to the browser, and view
the source, I see the XML file. Is there a way to view
the transformation by changing the browser settings?

> or generating using a stand-alone processor.

Yes, planning to download Saxon.

> This would have been much easier to notice had you
> done this.
Couldn't agree more :)

I greatly appreciate your help!

Regards,