Re: [xsl] XSL template "namespace" problem

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSL template "namespace" problem
From: Ian Bonnycastle <ibonny@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 18:14:45 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Wendell Piez wrote:

Notice that none of this has anything to do with Javascript. It's only job is to construct a node hierarchy containing certain elements and attributes with certain values. Those values happen to be syntactically-correct Javascript, but the XSLT engine doesn't know that and doesn't have to.

Actually, what you did with the <xsl:text> tag (one tag I didn't even know existed) is exactly what I did without it. (If that makes any sense.) I've actually figured out a THIRD possibility (actually pointed to by the website http://www.quirksmode.org/ earlier)... which is removal of Javascript completely from the XLST file, and thereby making the document well-formed again. (I hope!) I've used the docs there to put all Javascript code in a seperate file thats not processed by an XSLT processor, and therefore, doesn't get mixed in with all the well-formed mess we were talking about earlier. I've coded the Javascript to acutally adapt to whats in the main document, and modify everything externally. All thats needed is one "kick off" call from the <BODY onLoad=""> tag. It makes the XSLT file easier to handle, too. The only problem is that I need to edit 3 different documents to create 1 web page. In the interest of portability, though, its worth it. I can apply the same Javascript code and XSLT transformations to many different XML documents and create many different pages with the same effects. (Which, as far as I can tell, was *one* of the purposes of XSLT in the first place... of course, not the only one, though.)

This only leaves me with one question before I put this thread to bed. I've heard different people mention that the browser doesn't see XML or XSLT... just the resulting HTML (at least when it "renders" it.) But I find this confusing.. the browser *must* load the two seperate doucments (XML and XSLT files), as there is no URL reference to an HTML file... and
the server doesn't generate the HTML either... so where exactly does the processor lie? Is it a section of code that is called when the browser-in- question attempts to "process" an XML file with XSLT stylesheets attached? Or is it called when ANY stylesheet is attached to ANY type of file?

Thanks again for all your help,

Ian