Re: [xsl] MatTS, an alternate syntax for XSLT

Subject: Re: [xsl] MatTS, an alternate syntax for XSLT
From: Evan Lenz <evan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 06:36:02 -0800
Wow, this is what I've been waiting for! I was just thinking the other day that XSLT is cool and all, but it clearly does not have enough Greek symbols. I can't believe how perfectly your proposal addresses my deepest needs as a human being!

Thank you Sean, I am indebted to you.

Evan

Sean M. Burke wrote:
In the best tradition of modern higher mathematical notation and typography
[http://math.berkeley.edu/~ilya/papers/PL_Grassmannian/gel_dikf.pdf], I have chosen well-known Greek letters and various printers' symbols for the operators.

The following table illustrates and specifies this formalism:

    N1 apply-imports
    N2 apply-templates
    O attribute
    N attribute-set
    N; call-template
    N> choose
    O comment
    N< copy
    N3 copy-of
    N decimal-format
    O element
    N8 fallback
    N6 for-each
    O if
    N) import
    N include
    N key
    N< message
    N namespace-alias
    N= number
    O otherwise
    N output
    N' param
    N preserve-space
    N5 sort
    N? strip-space
    N# stylesheet
    N template
    N9 text
    N$ transform
    N: value-of
    N4 variable
    O when
    O with-param
    N  processing-instruction

    B?... test="..."
    b... name="..."
    b	... match="..."
    B'... select="..."
    B+...B; (general attribute value)

The preceding explanation aside, the best way to appreciate MatTS is by simply trying it out -- MatTS as a visualization application is itself implemented in browser-accessible XSLT, and so can be used to view other XSLTs as well as itself:
http://interglacial.com/~sburke/pub/xsl/matts_usage_example.xsl
http://interglacial.com/~sburke/pub/xsl/matts.xsl
Compare with the clutter of those XSLs when viewed in conventional XSLT notation:
http://interglacial.com/~sburke/pub/xsl/matts_usage_example.xsl.txt
http://interglacial.com/~sburke/pub/xsl/matts.xsl.txt