Re: [xsl] I18N / UTF-8 versus US-ASCII

Subject: Re: [xsl] I18N / UTF-8 versus US-ASCII
From: "andrew welch" <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 11:47:03 +0100
On 4/4/06, Sangal, Amit (STSD) <amit.sangal@xxxxxx> wrote:
> I have less knowledge in this area.
>
> In my case also, XML (containing Korean character) need to travel from one
machine(running in Korean/ko_KR locale) to another machine(running in
english/en_US local) inside SOAP envelope.

> Is there any known disadvantage/limitation of using US-ASCII output
encoding?

The only disadvantage I'm aware of is that anyone reading the file is
presented with the numeric character references instead of the
characters themselves - this is not normally a problem as the only
people who ever examine the XML itself are developers, users only see
the parsed content (at which point all the references have been
resolved).

It would be interesting to know if anyone who was using US-ASCII
output had to switch to a broader encoding because of some issue....