RE: [xsl] rephrased: passing parameters to generic templates

Subject: RE: [xsl] rephrased: passing parameters to generic templates
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 17:39:51 -0400
At 04:38 PM 4/12/2006, drkm wrote:
> So when text nodes or values of attribute nodes
> are constructed (in 2.0), the string-conversion
> rules are not followed, but instead all values
> are spliced together (with space delimiters, it
> appears). This is something to watch out for,
> being notably different from 1.0 and potentially
> the source of silent bugs when migrating.

  Yes.  But it is one of the few difference, so when we have to migrate
an XSLT script from 1.0 to 2.0, I think it is one of the thing we have
in mind.

Yes. One of the things the committee did right was not blow all our hard-won XSLT 1.0 knowledge completely out of the water.

  And the incompatibility is only in the cases where we relied in 1.0
on the fact that only the first node of the node-set will be taken,
without write this explicitely (by "[1]").  Which is not a good
practice, IMHO.

Agreed. Although I've sometimes been guilty of the practice myself, it's also always seemed to me to be one of those "features" that creates needless obscurity. Better to write generate-id(key('by-id',@id)[1]) explicitly. (Not that we have to do *that* any more!)

  Note also that a space delimiter is the default, but statements like
xsl:value-of can set the separator to any string (even empty, which is
usefull), with "@separator".  The paragraph I gave the number explains
this simple algorithm (what happens for AVT, xsl:value-of, etcetera).

Right ... I'm remembering now.... :->

Thanks for the correction,
Wendell

Regards,

--drkm

Faites de Yahoo! votre page d'accueil sur le web
pour retrouver directement vos services prifiris
: virifiez vos nouveaux mails, lancez vos
recherches et suivez l'actualiti en temps riel.
Rendez-vous sur http://fr.yahoo.com/set