RE: [xsl] xsl:for-each and xml:space with text-nodes inbetween

Subject: RE: [xsl] xsl:for-each and xml:space with text-nodes inbetween
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 21:42:23 +0100
XSLT 2.0 spells the rules out in great detail:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#stylesheet-stripping

In 1.0 I think that a strict reading of the spec tells you

(a) whitespace text nodes in the stylesheet are not stripped if
xml:space="preserve" is specified (section 3.4)

(b) Text nodes, however snowy-white they are, are not permitted as children
of an element such as xsl:choose, or before the xsl:sort child of
xsl:for-each (section 18)

This is the interpretation that I adopted in Saxon; but it's somewhat
severe, and it's not surprising that some XSLT 1.0 processors have chosen a
more liberal approach. We made an explicit decision to adopt the more
liberal approach in XSLT 2.0, if only because it's more consistent with the
rules for XML validity in the presence of a DTD.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/