Re: [xsl] FO invisible data

Subject: Re: [xsl] FO invisible data
From: MrDemeanour <mrdemeanour@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 08:01:48 +0100
Alan Boldock wrote:
Greetings xsl-list

I am trying to extract some data from a proprietary medical data
system. The system basically generates a FO file that from the system
goes on to be printed/faxed/emailed to many sources. I can grad the
FO file on its way past copy it and do some other processing that I
need to do to it.

I have access to the XSL file that did generate the FO file and I can
modify it as long as the FO file appears the same when
printed/faxed/emailed.

However the problem I have is that there is one key piece of data
missing form the FO file that I need. I can insert it into the XSL
file quite easily but when I do it appears on the final output and I
can't have that.

So my question is: Is there some way to include something like below
but for it to have a property perhaps that makes the formatter ignore
it completely but will still allow me to get to the data in the FO
file?

Is there a reason that the material you insert has to be in the fo: namespace?

If you were to insert material in some other namespace, then XSL:FO
would ignore it, so effectively it would be invisible. But if you insert
the material with the fo: prefix, then (a) it has to be valid XSL:FO
markup, and (b) XSL:FO is going to process it.

I confess I don't understand why you might want to insert XSL:FO markup,
but not want it to have any effect on the output. If I knew why you were
trying to do this it might help.

--
jack.