[xsl] Identifying column position in XHTML table model?

Subject: [xsl] Identifying column position in XHTML table model?
From: David Sewell <dsewell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 15:27:17 -0400 (EDT)
Has anyone developed code (preferably XSLT 1.0) that can identify
the physical output column of a cell in the XHTML table model?
I.e., given data like so

which produces a table looking something like

  x  x  x  x
  .  x  x  x
  x  .  .  x

be able to calculate that table/tr[2]/td[1] is in column 2 and
table/tr[3]/td[2] is in column 4, etc.?

It's not a simple algorithm to figure out because it must take into
account for a given cell all combinations of @colspan and @rowspan in
preceding cells that interact to affect the position of the current
cell.

I can see my way to an XSLT 2.0 solution that would work by creating
pseudo-array variable created via a recursive function (basically an XML
version of the "x . x" picture), but that's not an option in XSLT 1.0.
Ideally I need something that will work with current Web browser XSLT
parsers. (The underlying data I'm working with is actually TEI tables,
but the row/column span semantics are identical to XHTML.)

DS

Electronic Imprint, The University of Virginia Press
PO Box 400318, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA
Email: dsewell@xxxxxxxxxxxx   Tel: +1 434 924 9973
Web: http://www.ei.virginia.edu/