[xsl] Plain Text Handling in XSLT Output

Subject: [xsl] Plain Text Handling in XSLT Output
From: "Georg Hohmann" <georg.hohmann@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 11:53:21 +0200

i bother with the handling of plain text in xslt. My problem is that i
have to insert plain text combined with values to the output depending
on if a node exists or not (which is a very common task i guess). So
there are many xsl:if test=exists(...) statements inside my xslt.

1. Prob: White spaces
If i have a xslt like this:
<xsl:value-of select="Firstname"/> <xsl:value-of select="Lastname"/>
I always get this output:
How do i insert a white space between (these) two values?

2. Prob: Line Feed & Carriage Return
The xslt:
  <xsl:if test="exists(mds:node17)">
        <xsl:value-of select="node17"/>
        <xsl:if test="exists(node18)">
           (<xsl:value-of select="node18"/>)
This is the expected output:
Lastname (Function)
But this is the real output:
How can i control if a linefeed is added or not? Is there a possibilty
to remove or add a linefeed with xslt to the output?

I hope you have some advice for me.

G. Hohmann