Re: [xsl] Plain Text Handling in XSLT Output

Subject: Re: [xsl] Plain Text Handling in XSLT Output
From: "Georg Hohmann" <georg.hohmann@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 12:23:32 +0200
Ups, thanks for all the answers! This is the the only mailinglist i
know where you get replies in a nanosecond. ;-) Now i will chum up
with the xsl:text element. Also i will try to replace my xsl:.if
statements with the method mentioned by andrew. I think this will make
my scripts much smaller.

Regards,
GH

2006/6/7, andrew welch <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>:
On 6/7/06, Georg Hohmann <georg.hohmann@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i bother with the handling of plain text in xslt. My problem is that i
> have to insert plain text combined with values to the output depending
> on if a node exists or not (which is a very common task i guess). So
> there are many xsl:if test=exists(...) statements inside my xslt.
>
> 1. Prob: White spaces
> If i have a xslt like this:
> <xsl:value-of select="Firstname"/> <xsl:value-of select="Lastname"/>
> I always get this output:
> FirstnameLastname
> How do i insert a white space between (these) two values?

Whitespace only text nodes get dropped by default - that means any
text node consisting soley of whitespace (like the whitespace used to
indent your XSLT).

So with that in mind, use <xsl:text> </xsl:text> or <xsl:value-of
select="concat(Firstname, ' ', Lastname)"/>

> 2. Prob: Line Feed & Carriage Return > The xslt: > ... > <person> > <xsl:if test="exists(mds:node17)"> > <name> > <xsl:value-of select="node17"/> > <xsl:if test="exists(node18)"> > (<xsl:value-of select="node18"/>) > </xsl:if> > </name> > </xsl:if> > </person> > ... > This is the expected output: > ... > Lastname (Function) > ... > But this is the real output: > ... > Lastname > (Function) > ... > How can i control if a linefeed is added or not? Is there a possibilty > to remove or add a linefeed with xslt to the output?

Here the text node contains a '(' so it doesn't get dropped, and the
text node consists of the carriage return and indetation that you've
used to indent your code - which is what your are seeing in your
output.  To avoid this write all the code inline, or use concat.

Also, rather than use xsl:test="exists(...)" just use apply-templates,
as then if the element exists it will be processed, otherwise it wont:

<person>
  <xsl:apply-templates/>
</person>

<xsl:template match="mds:node17">
  <name>
    <xsl:value-of select="."/>
    <xsl:apply-templates/>
  </name>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="mds:node18">
  <xsl:value-of select="concat('(', node18, ')'"/>
<xsl:template>

cheers
andrew