Re: [xsl] Merging attributes in one XML file with node values in another (identical structure)

Subject: Re: [xsl] Merging attributes in one XML file with node values in another (identical structure)
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 12:26:04 -0400
At 11:51 AM 6/22/2006, David wrote:
> awesomely elegant solution works

'course elegance, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. Walking
over the tree(s) recursively carrying a bit of state with you might take
some more lines of code, but is probably more efficient than working out
/descendant::*[$n] each time.

Indeed, but code footprint does make a difference, and as soon as you start passing parameters around, XSLT's syntax proves a significant impediment to its appearing graceful -- its steps may be right, but not light. Whether something can *be* graceful without *appearing* so is something I leave for us to ponder ... though I acknowledge that an algorithm may be nice even if its synactic expression is not.

Sort of like dancing in hiking boots. If everyone is doing it, we may fail to notice. But that doesn't make it pretty.

Cheers,
Wendell