RE: [xsl] XSLT compiler

Subject: RE: [xsl] XSLT compiler
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 15:32:47 +0100
> I want to use XSLT in a project which has a number of
> concurrent users (web), and so the transformation time (and
> possibly caching) is an important issue.
> For this reason, I decided to use an XSLT-to-class compiler.
> I've found Apache's XSLTC, the only XSLT compiler available
> for free on the Internet.

Don't assume that because it's a compiler it's necessarily faster. There are
other factors with a much bigger impact on performance than the final code
generation. It depends on your actual workload: if it's dominated by
sorting, for example, then compiling isn't going to help. Don't make a
decision based on performance until you have made measurements that are
model your workload.

> 2. Since XSLTC uses Xalan, it only supports XSLT 1.0. Can I
> use compiling feature of XSLTC + XSLT 2.0 support of Saxon? I
> mean is there any kind of pluggability between Xalan and Saxon?

Not at that level, no!

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/