RE: [xsl] Matching elements based on element type:

Subject: RE: [xsl] Matching elements based on element type:
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 17:36:46 +0100
> Is XSLT2.0 fully supported by any products (any free software
> products?)?

XSLT 2.0 is now a W3C Candidate Recommendation, which means it's in the
final QA stages. The current work is focusing on testing interoperability of
implementations. I'm aware of five implementations, of which two have not
yet been released, but I think it's fair to say that Saxon has by far the
largest market share.

The open source Saxon-B processor does not provide the schema-aware
facilities; for that you have to pay for the commercial Saxon-SA product.
It's only GBP 250, so you've paid for it as soon as it saves a day of your
time.

> It feels kind of risky to use a standard that hasn't even
> been finalized by the w3c yet...

Attitudes to risk vary. The Saxon XSLT 2.0 processor is being used in some
very big applications, for example several investment banks are using it. I
guess that's because investment bankers are accustomed to taking risks and
profiting when they pay off.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/