Re: [xsl] Fwd: xsl:key() and $variables.

Subject: Re: [xsl] Fwd: xsl:key() and $variables.
From: Michael B Allen <mba2000@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 22:20:44 -0400
On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 18:42:29 -0400
Steve <subsume@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

First, I don't think XSLT was designed to do SQL style joins. It's not
a database API.

But. That doesn't mean you can't do it.

You could do a call-template() that does for-each on
activities/activity[@necessary='yes'] and return the Record that has an
activity/text() equal to the desired activity.

> I swear one of these posts I'll have xsl:key figured out.

I've never heard of xsl:key but the second illustration here:

 http://www.cranesoftwrights.com/resources/xslkeys/index.htm

looks useful. It seems an xsl:key is like a variable containing
a list of elements that match the xpath expression. But the key()
function allows you to filter on that list further by providing a key
(overloaded term warning). So in the above illustration the xsl:key
statement builds a list of Employee elements and indicates that the SSN
child should be used when a key is supplied to the key() function. So
the key('people',@emp) call says, "fetch all elements in the 'people'
list using the SSN @emp. Presumably each Employee would have a unique
SSN and therefore the key() call will return one Element.

Mike

--
Michael B Allen
PHP Extension for SSO w/ Windows Group Authorization