Re: [xsl] How can I compare XSLT with Programming languages for parsing XML?

Subject: Re: [xsl] How can I compare XSLT with Programming languages for parsing XML?
From: Michael B Allen <mba2000@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 23:44:47 -0400
On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 22:11:56 -0400
Steve <subsume@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I like parsing at the document tree level, instead of using a language
> like perl and regular expressions to reinvent the wheel.

Actually it's XPath and the concept of applying templates to a context
set that does all the work. It would be neat if processing instructions
like PHP could be used instead of XML. It's not clear how you would
"match" templates but if you could make it work you could flip/flop
between pure markup and pure programming language.

For example, if nodesets were simple PHP associative arrays you could
do things like call a template with the results of an ldap_search().

Mike

--
Michael B Allen
PHP Extension for SSO w/ Windows Group Authorization