[xsl] Fine tuning a template match

Subject: [xsl] Fine tuning a template match
From: "Trevor Nicholls" <trevor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 15:56:49 +1200
Hi

I am trying to transform some FrameMaker-generated XML that contains lots of
tables. The tables optionally include a set of titles, and these titles are
usually wrapped in a caption element - but sometimes the caption element
also includes all the table rows :-(

Scattered "randomly" through the tables we have <A id=> elements and my
requirement is to process all title-related <A> elements before the table,
and all row-related <A> elements within their row. There are <A id=>
elements elsewhere in the document, hence some of the conditions in the
template which is designed to process them.

The following extract successfully identifies the table types and the <A>
elements to be processed at the head of the tables:
==============
<!-- tables -->
<!-- some tables have one caption child and multiple row children-->
<xsl:template match="TABLE[CAPTION and ROW]">
<xsl:apply-templates select="CAPTION//A[@ID]" mode="tblhd"/>
<xsl:element name="table">...</xsl:element>
</xsl:template>

<!-- others have all the rows inside the caption -->
<!-- in this case the title is wrapped in a titlelist -->
<xsl:template match="TABLE[CAPTION/ROW]">
<xsl:apply-templates select="CAPTION/TableTitleList//A[@ID]" mode="tblhd" />
<xsl:element name="table">...</xsl:element>
</xsl:template>

<!-- and others have no caption at all -->
<xsl:template match="TABLE">
<xsl:element name="table">...</xsl:element>

<!-- hyperlink targets in headings -->
<xsl:template match="A[@ID]" mode="tblhd">

<!-- hyperlink targets in rows -->
<xsl:template match="A[@ID][not(@CLASS='XRef')][not(ancestor::FOOTNOTES)]">

As it stands this last template which matches all ID'ed "A" elements in
tables causes these elements to be processed twice - once by the moded
template and once by the standard template, so that the XML generated for a
hyperlink target appears both before the <table> element and once again
inside it. So I need to fine tune the final template somehow: I need to
exclude the pre-table context from the un-moded template. Does that make
sense?

Cheers
Trevor