[xsl] Pushing the liquidity of templates?

Subject: [xsl] Pushing the liquidity of templates?
From: Steve <subsume@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 16:17:10 -0400
XSL 1.0

Let's save I have a template for an an address form which I call using
apply-templates mode="address" select="/"> and I pass it existing
address data which autofills text input values.

I can use the select statement to match either the XML being
transformed or a remote variable, and this is great. But let's say the
mailing address information is coming from the XML being transformed
and the telephone and fax information is coming from a variable.

I know I could just use with-param but I'm wondering if there is a way
to pass information implicitly ( match="/" ) but also pass explicitly
when the "/" doesn't contain the neccesary data.

A) Just give in and use with-param on everything.

B) A series of when/choose, testing whether //phone exists and
declaring it if it is empty.

C) Some super elegant way I am currently unaware of.

Thanks for readin',

-Steve