Re: [xsl] xtvd grouping problem (I think)

Subject: Re: [xsl] xtvd grouping problem (I think)
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:26:04 -0400
Bob,

At 10:16 AM 9/9/2006, you wrote:
I think I'm going to have to redo my key arrangement. In other words, if I really want to loop on that <schedule>, then I need my key statements to make that set for me. Which means something like $schedSet select="key('name', $matcher, $ctxt)[MONSTROUS PREDICATE REFERRING TO <tv:program>]

Ick. Is this really worth it to me? That's worth reflecting on. :-)

Things such as what you're suggesting, or (similarly) nasty compound keys etc. are sometimes a necessary evil in XSLT 1.0, but in your case I really think there's a simpler way to do it. Especially in XSLT 2.0. (Which you're using, correct?)

Could you be bothered to restate your problem with a concise example? At a minimum, show us some code for source and desired result.

The English-language description of the problem is good, only not quite enough -- it's enough for us to track your thinking up to this point and say "it looks reasonable" -- to verify you're on the right track. But that's all: to get you over the top, particularly if no errors of XSLT-reasoning jump out, we'd like to demonstrate. Which we can do if we have a realistic (but miniature) example to work over. Add some demo source code to the description, plus even some XSLT that almost works, and you're much more likely to get good help.

The list (like all lists, I imagine) works best if you consider it to be "stateless", even within a thread. Write up your problem so that the XSLT guru who has not been reading can hop right in and help you. It's happened before. (And then she went off to bigger and better things.)

Cheers,
Wendell