[xsl] XSL Driven Redaction Tag

Subject: [xsl] XSL Driven Redaction Tag
From: Gannon Dick <gannon_dick@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 13:08:11 -0700 (PDT)
I've been thinking for a while that for privacy protection HTML and
other markup languages could use a redaction tag.  The INS and DEL tags
are to indicate edits.  My redaction tag (RUST - Redact Unless Static
Text) works a little bit differently.  Given a source document with
<rust> tags, if you have two XSLTs, one simply strips the tag and the
other redacts and strips.

Like for example a US Social Security Number
1) <rust method="rust" mark="X">123-45-6789</rust>
 -XSLT-> "123-45-6789"
2) <rust method="rust" mark="X">123-45-6789</rust>
 -XSLT-> "XXX-XX-XXXX"

The "problem" this avoids is where a document contains private
information and so the default behavior should be non-disclosure and
one is (All, please don your tinfoil hats) concerned that hardware
solutions, keys and encryption, might have some trap doors.

For further information see:
http://www.geocities.com/gannon_dick/TakingWorkHome.pdf

The XSLT is easy to write.  I know because I've rewritten it many
times.  The PDF explains why how the tag should work in not as obvious
as it may seem.  All comments welcome.

Oh yeah, you can take off the tinfoil hat now.  On the other hand, if
you follow what they are discussing down Wisconsin Ave. from Mulberry
Tech. today perhaps you might want to keep it on just a little longer.

--Gannon