Re: [xsl] processing text nodes one character at a time

Subject: Re: [xsl] processing text nodes one character at a time
From: "Mukul Gandhi" <gandhi.mukul@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 22:38:11 +0530
Here is a XSLT 1.0 solution:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<xsl:output method="text" />

<xsl:template match="/">
 <xsl:call-template name="TransformString">
   <xsl:with-param name="string" select="element" />
 </xsl:call-template>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template name="TransformString">
 <xsl:param name="string" />

 <xsl:if test="string-length($string) &gt; 0">
   <xsl:text>x</xsl:text><xsl:value-of select="substring($string, 1, 1)" />
   <xsl:call-template name="TransformString">
     <xsl:with-param name="string" select="substring($string, 2)" />
   </xsl:call-template>
 </xsl:if>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

This when applied to XML:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<element>abcd</element>

Produces the wanted output:

xaxbxcxd

But as David showed, it's much simpler with XSLT 2.0.