Re: [xsl] Fwd: Multiple OR Expression across a node-set

Subject: Re: [xsl] Fwd: Multiple OR Expression across a node-set
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 15:46:08 -0500

This is a classic case for a lookup table either in your XSLT or in a separate document (where someone else might help to maintain it :-), accessed via the document() function.

See for some hints, or search more broadly for "XSLT lookup tables".

The basic idea is that you construct a little XML that lists your values; you then traverse this list instead of your input to do your re-ordering. If you need to structure the list somehow, for example to group the values (as your sample suggests you might), this is easy enough to do (since it's XML). This also gives you a chance to generate something special when values in your list are not represented in your source file.

The code is more concise than the brute force method as well as easier to maintain, since both your list of values and their order are controlled as such, in one place.

I hope that helps,