Re: [xsl] Why does '#' start a comment in regular expressions with 'x' modifier flag? How can I match '#'?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Why does '#' start a comment in regular expressions with 'x' modifier flag? How can I match '#'?
From: Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 21:04:19 +0100
Michael Kay wrote:
Now I found out that, at least with Saxon (not sure of others), the '#' character is considered a comment delimiter when the 'x' flag (ignore
whitespace) is ignored. Furthermore, it does not appear possible to escape the '#' character.

What version of Saxon are you using (and on what platform)? I think there was a bug in this area in earlier releases but that it works correctly in Saxon 8.8.

I tested with 8.8 and the problem indeed seems to be resolved. Thanks. We'll update our applications.

However, I do find a new odd behavior with "\" and a space, in conjunction with the 'x' modifier flag. Without the flag, it raises an exception, with the flag, it makes the match fail on any input. I will notify this on the appropriate list.

Cheers,
-- Abel.