Re: [xsl] String literals with both single and double quotes

Subject: Re: [xsl] String literals with both single and double quotes
From: Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 21:50:50 +0100
Elliotte Harold wrote:
I need to check my spec reading. I currently believe this statement to be true:

In XPath 1.0 a single string literal cannot contain both single and double quotes.

Is that accurate? If so I can delete an ugly branch in Jaxen.

In XPath 1 and XSLT 1 you can do this to output a single apostrophe or quote respectively:

<xsl:value-of select=' " &apos; " ' />
<xsl:value-of select=" ' &quot; ' " />

To create a string with both literal apostrophe and quote, you can do this:

<xsl:value-of select="concat( ' &quot; ', &quot; &apos; &quot; ) "/>

In XPath 2, this becomes much easier, because you can escape by using a double quote or apostrophe, like this:

<xsl:value-of select=" ' &quot; '' ' " />

Cheers,
-- Abel Braaksma
  http://www.nuntia.nl