Re: [xsl] Axis specifers

Subject: Re: [xsl] Axis specifers
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 12:45:16 -0500
Hi,

I'm concerned that the OP is not only unsure of how templates work, but also not really getting it when we use terms like "parent", "child", "sibling".

These are technical terms that refer to the relative positions of elements (and other nodes) in an XML document when it is parsed and presented to the processor as a "tree" (another technical term).

If the OP has

<list>
  <note>...</note>
  <note>...</note>
  <text>...</text>
</list>

and believes that one of the notes is the parent of the other, or that the parent of the text element is a note -- Houston, we've got a problem.

Like Mike, I gave up on my first attempt to provide help here, because too much had gone amiss (the code was far more complex than the problem seemed to warrant) and it was not clear to me what explanations would help. Now I'm even more concerned.

Maybe it's time to ask the OP what references he or she has used to read up on the basic concepts of XSLT, and perhaps to guide him to better ones. That might be the place to start.

At 12:02 PM 1/16/2007, it was written:
> I want both the note elements to appear above the text element. Right
> now, with my code, the second NOTE element overlaps with the number 1.

That's clearly a problem, but unless we're shown all the pieces including the output you're presently getting, it's anyone's guess what might account for it.

Complete but miniature examples please. We're volunteers!

Cheers,
Wendell