Re: [xsl] FO and continued

Subject: Re: [xsl] FO and continued
From: Kamal Bhatt <kbhatt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 11:41:42 +1100
J.Pietschmann wrote:
Kamal Bhatt wrote:
I am surprised that no one has built this functionality into their processors, I would have thought it would be basic functionality.

Well, it may be basic to you, but apparently the FO designers deemed it to be more of a fringe case (along with features like the possibility to retrieve the actual number of pages in a document rather than the representation of the page number of the last page, and others). BTW FOP 0.20.5 had an (poorly documented) extension function for defining a table footer which was printed only at page breaks, which achieved the effect for tables, and by using a blind table for most other content. IIRC other FO processors also have similar extensions.
Most infuriating thing I am finding about FO is how many "fringe cases" there are.

You are right. Unforunately, FOP 0.9x (the new production code) has not moved this feature across :(.

RenderX has rx:table-omit-initial-header, which can be used for header case. Not too sure if they support the footer case.

Can't see anything like this in Antenna House's documentation. The only thing that I found that comes close is axf:suppress-if-first-on-page <http://www.antennahouse.com/xslfo/axf4-extension.htm#axf.suppress-if-first-on-page> (http://www.antennahouse.com/xslfo/axf4-extension.htm#axf.suppress-if-first-on-page). Which looks like the exact opposite to what I want. It is sad, the best support for this is in a FO processor that is no longer supported.

Thanks for the help.

--
Kamal Bhatt