Re: [xsl] XSLT 2.0 has arrived

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT 2.0 has arrived
From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 12:51:12 -0500
David Carlisle wrote:

you mean like transforming xml:-) I was (and still am, really) highly
critical of the level to which schema-nonsense affected xquery/xslt2
but actually xslt2 has turned out rather well. The schema features don't
intrude too much if you are using a basic processor, and the extra
functionality (temporary trees, grouping and regexp in particular) mean
that for anything other than client side xslt (which I still think has a
place) I'd use xslt2 every time. Try it, you may find yourself being
hooked...

I have tried it, and the only thing that jumps out at me is the ability to use regular expressions to break apart badly marked up data. Otherwise, most of what I do can be well handled by XSLT 1.

I also find user interface concerns of processors to be an important characteristic. Browsers work (finally) and so does xsltproc. Both only support XSLT 1. Saxon I can only make work with a bunch of annoying Java classpath voodoo. That's enough extra pain for using XSLT 2 for simple jobs, that I'm far less inclined to do so.

--
o;?Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!