Re: [xsl] XSLT 2.0 has arrived

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT 2.0 has arrived
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 22:51:59 GMT
> Is this far more complex than a traditonal Windows or Unix executable?
> You better believe it.

we just put a shell scripts in /usr/local/bin that reference
saxon(8).jar by their full path on the local system and people use saxon
or saxon8 who don't know anything about java at all, and why should they?

Many unix (at least) programs are actually a shell script front end as
distributed, and the fact that the script runs java internally is
not really an issue. does it matter that "firefox" is a shell script
that sets up a pile of env variables before calling an executable?

It is an issue if you loop over 1000 files of course as starting the jvm
a thousand times isn't always a good idea, in which case you need to look
into java api's but, especially for beginners, I don't think it's an
issue at all. I use saxon most days and hardly ever use it from a java
programming api.

David