RE: [xsl] Cross-compiler between XSLT and java ?

Subject: RE: [xsl] Cross-compiler between XSLT and java ?
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 23:27:23 -0000
> His boss forces him to write java programs to process XML documents.

When you have a requirement like this, there is usually something behind it.
You need to find out what the real requirement is. For example, the real
requirement might be performance, and this has been expressed as a
requirement to write in Java because of a perception that the code will then
be faster. I very much doubt that delivering thousands of lines of
machine-generated Java would keep this boss happy: (s)he would almost
certainly come back and say "What I really meant was....".

Requirements come from users or customers, not from bosses. Engineering
policies are made internally within the development shop. Is this a
requirement or an engineering policy? If it's an engineering policy, find
out why it was made. Then either follow the policy (in its spirit as well as
its letter), or get it changed, or find another job.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/