Re: [xsl] Books on XSLT/XPATH

Subject: Re: [xsl] Books on XSLT/XPATH
From: "M. David Peterson" <m.david@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 16:40:19 -0700
On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 16:08:13 -0700, Joern Nettingsmeier <nettings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

and wrox messed up the the page headers big time. they are totally useless, since you don't see at a glance which element or function is being discussed, which is a showstopper for a reference handbook.

Oh, this is without a doubt, an absolute. What makes the difference, as you point out, is the content itself, so the reflection is obviously one against the format chosen by Wrox and continued when Wiley took things over. Of course, I can't imagine that this is something they do in ignorance: My guess is that their research and/or user-feedback from over the years suggests this to be a format that works for the core readers/customers that are attracted to Wrox titles.

Personally, I *MUCH* prefer the O'Reilly approach, but that really shouldn't come as much surprise. ;)

So I guess the bottom line to all of this is pretty straight forward: The content is what makes these two titles (and each of their predecessors) *MUST* haves for your developer book shelf.

--
/M:D

M. David Peterson
http://mdavid.name | http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/2354 | http://dev.aol.com/blog/3155