Re: [xsl] Using xsl:output in browsers, was: Re [xsl] XHTML html validation

Subject: Re: [xsl] Using xsl:output in browsers, was: Re [xsl] XHTML html validation
From: "Manfred Staudinger" <manfred.staudinger@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 00:46:13 +0100
On 20/02/07, Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Manfred Staudinger wrote:
> I've prepared two xml pages:
> http://free.pages.at/staudinger/Regest/Namen/Rudolph_II.xml
> Can you see the difference in IE 6 ?

Yes, nice one; I didn't know it and it is an ugly bug indeed. But my statement was actually about client side XSLT using Javascript invocation, where this behavior is not so. With JS there are many ways to get a serialized string from an XSLT transformation in IE, but all of them are on the resulting DOM object, where the information on indentation is gone.

Another reason not to use PIs ;)
One thing I want to achieve is uncoupling XSLT and JS. Even with JS
disabled, the page is delivered with all its structure and is readable by a
screen-reader. I can assure you, PI _is_ manageable,  but the application
is organized differently, of course.

Btw, I couldn't help noticing that you serve your XML as text/html. I
assume that is on purpose, because of that other bug in IE not
understanding text/xml + PI?
I noticed problems with IE for output method="xml", yes. But when
I look at the response-header in Firefox it's text/xml.

Manfred