RE: [xsl] Unanticipated Results from text()

Subject: RE: [xsl] Unanticipated Results from text()
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 17:13:51 -0000
> No matter how many line-breaks are in the XML, or where
> they're placed, in IE the "normalize-space(text())" picks up
> the "B2" text as I expected. But FileMaker/Xalan/Xerces won't
> pick up the "B2" text if a line-break appears between the
> <BBB><CCC>.

That's probably because you're picking up the wrong node. In XSLT 1.0, if
you do normalize-space(text()) then it processes the first child text node.
(In XSLT 2.0 it's an error if there's more than one). If you strip
whitespace text nodes, this will be the first non-whitespace node. If you
don't strip them, it will be the first whitespace node.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/