Re: [xsl] client-side ajax & xslt

Subject: Re: [xsl] client-side ajax & xslt
From: Erik Wilde <dret@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 09:04:52 -0800
hello joe.

thanks for the answer.

Reading your question I'm not completely sure if you want to use Ajax and server-side transformations or client-side ones, Sarissa is a cross-browser client-side XML/XSLT framework.

i want to use client-side, server-side would only generate the initial table as a fall-back for browsers not supporting client-side.

I tend to avoid client-side transforma unless I know that they are extremely simple or I know there is only one target browser, an intranet for example.

i understand that. i thought the promise of sarissa was that it gives yo a reasonably stable environment to do things client-side.

do you have examples of client-side transformations replacing existing content which actually works? i could not get sarissa's examples to work in my browser (latest firefox).

I have done something similar to what you describe in ASP.NET but all the transformations have been done server-side albeit via Ajax. To be fair it was only tested in Internet Explorer and Firefox for the full functionality, for other browsers it just used a full page refresh to show the new data.

i would prefer client-side, because it generates far less traffic and has much faster refresh times.

thanks and cheers,

dret.