RE: [xsl] sum() Function Used With Variables

Subject: RE: [xsl] sum() Function Used With Variables
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 22:13:42 -0000
The problem of summing over computed values is a general one. It's a
one-liner in 2.0 because you can compute a sequence of numbers and sum over
those numbers, for example

sum(for $x in ABCD return number(substring-after($x, '#')))

But in 1.0 you can only sum over nodes, and without the node-set extension
you can't even create new nodes and sum over them. So the solutions tend to
be one of:

1. Two-phase transformation: first write the tree with the computed numbers,
then sum over the nodes in that tree.

2. Ditto within a single stylesheet using the xx:node-set() extension.

3. Don't use sum() at all, do a recursive scan of the values to be summed
and total them "by hand" as you go

4. Use a vendor extension function

5. Use FXSL (which is doing 3, but the hard work has been done for you in
the FXSL library)

Your solution fails because $colwidths is a single node whose string value
is all the column widths concatenated together, and sum('2222') doesn't give
you 8.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/