Re: [xsl] What's your visual metaphor for XSL Transformations?

Subject: Re: [xsl] What's your visual metaphor for XSL Transformations?
From: Kamal Bhatt <kbhatt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 15:16:09 +1100
W Charlton wrote:
I disagree with the infinity and Ouroboros analogies as these imply either
that XML is infinitely deep (although in theory it can be, it never is
because this is the real world, so it is always finite) or that there is
some self reference or recursion in the XML, this is not true as XML is
hierarchical.
I agree it is n't the best metaphor (not unless you want an analogy of infinite recursion). It is probably more of a simile. I guess it was n't really intended as an answer to the original post, but more of a "this is what I think of when I think of recursion". In the past I would often draw circles in the air when I was trying to deal with a recursive problem, which reminds me of Ouroboros.

The first applications of recursion I did was the Sierpinski triangle (gasket) [1], maybe you could consider that a visual metaphor for recursion, perhaps there are other fractal patterns that would be considered metaphors for recursion.

As an aside, I think the Sierpinski triangle is a much better example of recursion then the rather silly Fibonacci example given in most text books. I found it more beneficial then the fibonacci example.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierpinski_triangle

-- Kamal Bhatt