RE: [xsl] Dynamically define number of xsl:sort stmts using parameters

Subject: RE: [xsl] Dynamically define number of xsl:sort stmts using parameters
From: cknell@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 11:52:16 -0400
I think you just may have disturbed the "no side-effects" troll. If I were in your position, I would use a two-stage approach. That is to say, use a stylesheet to create a stylesheet that does the transformation.

1) Create an XML file with your sort conditions. (Do your users check off the columns they want to sort by in some user interface? Then attach a function to create the XML document to the user interface widget that tells the program to perform the sort.)
e.g.
----
<sorts>
  <sort direction="ascending">column-1</sort>
  <sort direction="descending">column-2</sort>
</sorts>

2) Create a stylesheet that transforms this document into the stylesheet that will perform the sort.

3) Apply the XSLT-created stylesheet to the data document.

4) You're done.
--
Charles Knell
cknell@xxxxxxxxxx - email