[xsl] traversing up nodes until a certain attribute, then back to current node

Subject: [xsl] traversing up nodes until a certain attribute, then back to current node
From: xslt user <xsltacct@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 08:14:01 -0700 (PDT)

</root>

which I want to transform into this:

root
zero
a two
d five
d five six
d five six seven

just giving the element name if no ancestor has the
attribute "id" and giving the closest ancestor "id" as
the starting point and all element names back to the
current node if it does have an ancestor with
attribute "id".

Here is what I have so far, but it's not enough.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"
standalone="yes"?>
<xsl:transform version="1.0"
<xsl:output method="text" version="1.0"
encoding="utf-8" omit-xml-declaration="yes"
standalone="no" indent="no" media-type="text/plain"/>

<xsl:template match="*">
	<xsl:choose>
	<xsl:when test="ancestor-or-self::*[@id]">
		<xsl:for-each select="ancestor-or-self::*[@id]">
		<xsl:if test="position() = last()">
		<xsl:value-of select="@id"/>
		</xsl:if>
		</xsl:for-each>
	</xsl:when>
	<xsl:otherwise>
		<xsl:value-of select="name(.)"/>
	</xsl:otherwise>
	</xsl:choose>
<xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:transform>

That results in:

root
  zero

but I need to process back until the current node (not
beyond it...) giving all element names along the way,
starting after the closest ancestor node with an
attribute "id".

I've done some searching and I might need to do some
XSLT grouping, but I'm not sure yet.  Can anyone help?

http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail