RE: [xsl] Proposed syntax for namespace binding in XPath

Subject: RE: [xsl] Proposed syntax for namespace binding in XPath
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 10:45:57 +0100
> Is it possible to just match on prefix, regardless of binding?  eg,
>
> "foo:bar"
>
> ...will match any bar node prefixed with foo - the calling
> app doesn't care what "foo" is bound to in the XML, as long
> that's the prefix.
>
> If that's possible, that would be a really useful option.

Useful maybe, but that one would definitely be a non-conformance with the
spec. It's also one of those things that's "useful" in the sense that it
provides the user with lots of rope to hang himself with; I think the pain
caused by abuse of the facility would far exceed the net gain.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/