RE: [xsl] Tabluation via XSLT.

Subject: RE: [xsl] Tabluation via XSLT.
From: Furry Pop <furrypop@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 13:54:35 +0100 (BST)
Thanks, Michael.

Without wanting to appear obsequious, I found part of
the solution in your book!  ;-)

I've changed the XSL to firstly make the change you
suggested below and then to adjust the earlier loop
that generates the column headings to make use of
keys, as per an adaptation of the "Muenchian grouping"
method.

Here's the new XSL.  Same output, but now the document
context is retained; ergo I can apply modes to the
formatting of the column headers.

Very slightly clunky still, as I have to maintain two
indexes.  I can't seem to remove the need for
"col-items" and generate "$cols" directly from
"col-nodes", but will probably live with it.

[code]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format";>
	<xsl:output method="html"/>
	<xsl:key name="col-items"
match="container/item/value/item/value/@name"
use="."/>
	<xsl:key name="col-nodes"
match="container/item/value/item/value" use="@name"/>
	<xsl:variable name="cols"
select="container/item/value/item/value/@name[generate-id()=generate-id(key('col-items',.))]"/>
	<xsl:template match="/">
			<head>
				<title>TEST CODE FOR TABULATION</title>
			</head>
						<!-- set the column headings -->
						<xsl:for-each
select="container/item/value/item/value[generate-id()
= generate-id(key('col-nodes', @name)[1])]">
							<xsl:sort select="@name" />
								<xsl:value-of select="@name" />
						</xsl:for-each>
					<!-- create the rows -->
					<xsl:apply-templates
select="container/item/value">
						<xsl:sort/>
					</xsl:apply-templates>
	</xsl:template>
	<xsl:template match="container/item/value">
				<xsl:value-of select=".//@name"/>
			<!-- squirrel away the tree of ratings under the
row currently being processed -->
			<xsl:variable name="col_rating"
select="item/value"/>
			<!-- display the rating for each col (the latter
sorted in line with the column headings above) -->
			<xsl:for-each select="$cols">
				<xsl:sort/>
					<xsl:for-each
select="$col_rating[@name=current()]">